In 1880 a group of enthusiasts met at the Commercial Hotel in Christchurch and floated a company: Canterbury Cricket and Athletic Sports Company Limited. It set out to create a private cricket ground at which admission could be charged. Hagley Park, where cricket had been played in Christchurch until this time, was a public reserve, so no charges could be levied at the gate. The company purchased a ground on Ferry Road, prepared the turf and built a pavilion. The first game at the new Lancaster Park was played against a visiting English side on 23 January 1882. As can be seen in this photograph, the ground was surrounded by a cinder athletics track, which was also used for penny-farthing bicycle races.
Using this item
Canterbury Museum, Canterbury Pilgrims and Early Settlers' Association Collection
Photograph by Burton Brothers
Permission of Canterbury Museum, Rolleston Avenue, Christchurch, New Zealand must be obtained before any re-use of this image.