In 1868, 1870 and 1872 the Native Land Court held hearings on the Chatham Islands to establish titles to land in accordance with New Zealand law. The courthouse is in the centre of this photograph. The operation of the ‘1840 rule’ meant that those in occupation of land in 1840 had the greatest claim to it. Moriori, who had been displaced from their land by Māori a few years earlier, were disadvantaged in the hearings.
Using this item
Canterbury Museum, Bassett Collection
Photograph by Alfred Martin
Permission of Canterbury Museum, Rolleston Avenue, Christchurch, New Zealand must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment