On 14 May 1864, a group of upriver Pai Mārire supporters were defeated in a battle on Moutoa Island in the Whanganui River by Māori defending Whanganui township. The Pākehā community was so relieved that they erected a memorial to the loyal Māori at Moutoa Gardens in Whanganui town. Local women also sewed a flag to present to the Māori defenders. The flag featured the Union Jack, a crown and a white and a brown hand clasped in friendship. This photograph was probably taken in 1897.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.