Story: Public buildings

Otago Girls' High School

Otago Girls' High School

Until the late 20th century secondary-school buildings were designed as grand structures to convey notions of stability and tradition. Founded in 1870, Otago Girls' High School was New Zealand's first public secondary school for girls and among the first in the world. It was built in Scottish Baronial style. This is the floodlit facade of the main building in 2008.

Using this item

Otago Girls' High School

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Ben Schrader, 'Public buildings - State-sector buildings', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/36463/otago-girls-high-school (accessed 6 July 2020)

Story by Ben Schrader, published 20 Jun 2012