Story: Treaty of Waitangi

Hui at Waitangi, 1934

Hui at Waitangi, 1934

Wearing traditional chiefly costume, Northern Māori member of Parliament Taurekareka Hēnare escorts the governor-general, Lord Bledisloe (in top hat), and his wife (in fur stole) onto the land where the Treaty of Waitangi had been signed 94 years earlier. Lord Bledisloe had donated this land and the house of British Resident James Busby to the nation in 1932. Large public commemorations of the treaty signing began in the years after this gift.

Using this item

Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Reference: 7-A14689

Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Claudia Orange, 'Treaty of Waitangi - Implementing the treaty – 1900 to 1940', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/36372/hui-at-waitangi-1934 (accessed 12 July 2020)

Story by Claudia Orange, published 20 Jun 2012