In 2009 this monument was erected on the actual spot of the 1857 meeting known as Te Puna o te Roimata. The stainless steel pou whenua (land post) was made by Tutunui Te Kanawa and his sons, who are of Ngāti Maniapoto descent. It was unveiled by Māori King Tūheitia during a three-day celebration attended by over 2,000 people.
Using this item
Photograph by Todd Ward
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.