In 1857 the Ngāti Māniapoto iwi met at Haurua, near Ōtorohanga, and confirmed the selection of Pōtatau Te Wherowhero of Waikato as the first Māori king. Pōtatau, who had already been chosen at another hui, would not accept the role until he received the endorsement of his Ngāti Maniapoto cousins. This important day, which became known as Te Puna o te Roimata (the wellspring of tears) is commemorated by this monument, which is next to State Highway Three. The inscription facing the road is in Māori, with the English translation (pictured above) on the reverse side.
Using this item
Photographs by Caren Wilton
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.