Staff from the New Zealand Broadcasting Service carry out television experiments in 1951. In 1936 the newly elected Labour government placed non-commercial broadcasting under the control of the National Broadcasting Service (NBS). From 1937 commercial stations were controlled by the National Commercial Broadcasting Service (NCBS). The two services were amalgamated in 1944, and, in 1946, the NBS was renamed the New Zealand Broadcasting Service (NZBS). Throughout this period the minister of broadcasting had direct control of radio broadcasting. Broadcasts of any controversial material were strictly prohibited. Direct control ended in 1962, following the introduction of television. Control of broadcasting passed to the government-appointed board of the New Zealand Broadcasting Corporation (NZBC).
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.