Students walk past the stone buildings for which Christ's College in Christchurch has become known. Opened in 1851, Christ's was closely modelled on English public schools, providing boys with an education that included Latin, Greek, history, science and art. The first of the stone buildings, known as ‘Big School’, was completed in 1863, with the chapel following in 1867. Damage in the 2011 earthquake, including to the chapel, temporarily closed the school, with many students relocated to another private school, King’s College in Auckland. In 2013 full restoration of the damaged portions of the house and the chapel seen here was completed.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.