Te Tokanganui-a-Noho wharenui (meeting house) is located on State Highway 3 in the centre of Te Kūiti. It was built in 1873 under the direction of the Māori leader and prophet Te Kooti, who lived in Te Rohe Pōtae (the King Country) between 1872 and 1893. He gifted the house to Ngāti Maniapoto as a gesture of thanks for their hospitality not long before receiving a government pardon in 1883. The house has been relocated three times, the last time to make way for the railway line.
Te Kooti and his followers were associated with over 40 meeting houses and he is credited with fostering their architectural development. Because of this, Te Tokanganui-a-Noho is of national historic and cultural significance, as well as being a focal point for Ngāti Maniapoto.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.