Piriaka power station is on the banks of the Whanganui River at Piriaka, south of Taumarunui. The station was commissioned in 1924 and initially supplied power only to the local community. It was still operating in the early 2000s and, unusually, had not been modernised. The original machinery remained in good working order, although in 1971 a new generator had been installed in a separate building. These are the workers who constructed the station. The two small boys at the front are probably the sons of workers.
Using this item
Abundant Past, Borough Council Collection
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.