These women were photographed outside Te Tokanganui-a-Noho wharenui (meeting house) in 1884. The wharenui was built in 1873 under the direction of 19th-century Māori leader and prophet Te Kooti, who lived in Te Rohe Pōtae from 1872 until 1893, just before his death. The wharenui, which is still standing in the centre of Te Kūiti, is a reminder of Te Kooti's time in the region.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.