After the Second World War trade training for Māori students was one special focus for technical high schools and polytechnics. In 1959 a carpentry trade-training scheme for young rural Māori men started at Seddon Memorial Technical College in Auckland. The scheme was later extended to other technical institutions and the range of subjects offered expanded. These students are attending a technical drawing class as part of a pre-apprenticeship carpentry scheme at the Auckland Technical Institute (now the Auckland University of Technology) in 1970.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: AAQT 6401/A93,947
Photograph by Gregory Riethmaier
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence