The Treaty House formerly belonged to British Resident James Busby (a representative of the British government). It is on the Treaty Grounds at Waitangi. A number of events of significance to kotahitanga movements took place at Waitangi. In 1834 Busby organised a meeting of Māori chiefs to select a national flag. In 1835 he organised a further meeting at which the New Zealand Declaration of Independence (He Whakaputanga o te Rangatiratanga o Nu Tirene) was signed by a number of northern chiefs. Then, in 1840, the Treaty of Waitangi was signed here on 6 February.
Using this item
Flickr: Sids1's photostream
Photograph by Steve Whitehead
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment