The centre of Tokomaru Bay’s economy between 1911 and 1952 was the freezing works at Waimā, at the northern end of the bay. The works closed in 1952 but the buildings still stand. Also still there is the wharf, which was extended to cater to the increased scale of shipping prompted by the freezing works, but has not been in commercial use since the 1960s.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photographs by Janine Faulknor
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence