A number of memorials to New Zealand political leaders were erected in the early 20th century. Following his death in 1906, Premier Richard Seddon was memorialised in at least six places. This memorial at the centre of a roundabout in Auckland was opened in the rain on 7 July 1909. The monument served as a gas lamp and also a drinking fountain. It was removed in 1947. The most famous memorial to Seddon was the statue in front of Parliament in Wellington, which was put up in 1915.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.