Ward, 45 kilometres south-east of Blenheim and 83 kilometres north of Kaikōura on State Highway 1, is the centre of a farming district. The township was established after 1905 when the Liberal government of the day, in which Joseph Ward served, bought the Flaxbourne estate and subdivided its lands for the closer settlement scheme. This monument and gates are war memorials located at Ward domain, with the pavilion and club rooms in the background.
Using this item
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.