The Auckland Māori Community Centre in inner-city Freemans Bay opened in 1948 as a pan-tribal Māori social and cultural centre. It provided a place for recently urbanised Māori to meet other new arrivals and receive support in adjusting to urban life. The centre put on a mix of informal and formal events, including dances (shown here in the early 1960s), hui (meetings) and tangi (funerals). It was supplanted in the 1970s by new urban marae, closer to the suburbs in which most Māori in Auckland now lived.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: AAMK W3495/28H
Photograph by Ans Westra
Permission of Archives New Zealand Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga must be obtained before any re-use of this material.
Add new comment