Story: Ngā hāhi – Māori and Christian denominations

Presbyterian Māori missions: Ruatāhuna (1st of 3)

Presbyterian Māori missions: Ruatāhuna

The first Presbyterian mission house at Ruatāhuna, in the Urewera, was built of traditional local materials by its missionaries, H. Fletcher and John Laughton. It was completed in June 1918, when this photo was taken.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Sister Annie Henry Collection (PAColl-6098)
Reference: 1/2-030939-F

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Hirini Kaa, 'Ngā hāhi – Māori and Christian denominations - Presbyterian Church', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/30622/presbyterian-maori-missions-ruatahuna (accessed 26 May 2020)

Story by Hirini Kaa, published 5 May 2011, updated 1 Mar 2017