Story: Ngā hāhi – Māori and Christian denominations

Presbyterian church, Wellington, 1847

Presbyterian church, Wellington, 1847

This 1847 engraving shows Wellington's first Presbyterian church in a brisk northerly. Known as the 'Scotch kirk', it stood on the shore near the present-day junction of Lambton Quay and Willis St. A group of Māori are shown in the lower right of this picture.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: A-109-035
Hand-coloured engraving by Samuel Charles Brees

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Hirini Kaa, 'Ngā hāhi – Māori and Christian denominations - Presbyterian Church', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/30621/presbyterian-church-wellington-1847 (accessed 29 May 2020)

Story by Hirini Kaa, published 5 May 2011, updated 1 Mar 2017