The Symonds Street Cemetery was the first official burial ground in Auckland. It was established on public land in 1842, but closed for burials after 1886 (apart from the burial of those who already had family members buried in the cemetery). There were separate sections for Anglicans, Catholics, Presbyterians, Jews and Methodists. Many Auckland early settlers are buried here, including Governor William Hobson, who died in 1842, just two years after he had signed the Treaty of Waitangi on behalf of the British Crown.
The cemetery, which has lots of mature trees, became a park in 1909 under the control of the Auckland City Council. When the new motorway system was constructed in the mid-1960s, over 4,100 bodies were moved and reinterred in two memorial sites within the cemetery, which became split into two sections separated by Grafton Bridge. This view of the cemetery shows a family plot with six headstones surrounded by an iron fence.
Using this item
Flickr: John Steedman's photostream
Photograph by John Steedman
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.