A seminary, or training centre for Marist priests, was set up at Meeanee, in Hawke's Bay, in 1890. Because of flooding, it moved to a site nearby at Greenmeadows in 1911, and vineyards were planted around the seminary buildings. By the 1920s, when this photograph was taken, the mission vineyard was already well-known and the seminarians spent long hours working on the vines as well as on their education. They are shown here celebrating a day off from their studies.
Using this item
Society of Mary Archives
Reference: GM Alb C. 1910-1930. p.21/4
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.