English weaver Thomas Blick established a woollen mill in Upper Brook Street, Nelson, in June 1845. He employed German immigrant women, including those from the Bensemann and Eggers families. The women spun sheep’s wool, which was used to produce a strong, almost waterproof fabric known as Blick cloth. It was used for uniforms of the constabulary.
Using this item
Nelson Provincial Museum
Reference: Tyree Studio Collection 69435 (left); A1250 EC.146.66 (right)
Permission must be sought from Nelson Provincial Museum before any re-use of this image.