The Otago Benevolent Institution opened in 1866. For the first three decades both children and elderly people were accommodated there, but after 1896 it was predominately a home for the elderly. Children comprised the majority of residents until the 1870s, and they were schooled on-site until 1893.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, E. R. Williams Collection
Photograph by William Williams
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.