Story: Religion and society

Church unity: Protestant churches' agreement (2nd of 2)

Church unity: Protestant churches' agreement

Ministers of the Anglican, Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches sign an agreement in Wainuiomata, near Wellington, in June 1965. The four denominations all agreed to use St Peter's Church in Glendale, Wainuiomata, for their services. Such ecumenical cooperation among the Protestant churches became more common after the Second World War.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Dominion Post Collection (PAColl-7327)
Reference: EP/1965/1955

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Stenhouse, 'Religion and society - Religious cooperation and nation-building, 1920–1970', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/28419/church-unity-protestant-churches-agreement (accessed 16 October 2021)

Story by John Stenhouse, published 5 May 2011, reviewed & revised 4 Apr 2018