A group poses in front of the Federative Home at Wainoni, by the Avon River in Christchurch. The community was established by science professor and socialist Alexander Bickerton (seated at centre left, with beard and light-coloured shirt) in 1896. Until the initiative ended around 1903, about 30 people lived at the home, which boasted a billiard room, library, fernery, conservatories, painting studios and a photographic darkroom. The residents' highly organised social activities included bands, glee clubs, carving and art classes, and social evenings. Some residents also worked in community-run businesses, including a fireworks factory.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: Canterbury Times, 5 April 1899
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.