Mt Taranaki forms a dramatic backdrop to the settlement of Parihaka, painted by George Clarendon Beale around 1881. In the 1870s Parihaka had become the base for peaceful resistance to the land confiscations that followed the Taranaki wars of the previous decade. Inabited by followers of the prophets and resistance leaders Te Whiti-o-Rongomai and Tohu Kākahi, it was the country's largest Māori village at the time of its invasion by government troops in November 1881.
Listen to Te Miringa Hōhaia talk about the history of Tekau Mā Waru (‘the eighteenth’), the monthly forum established at Parihaka by Te Whiti and Tohu and still held in the 21st century.
Using this item
Puke Ariki - Taranaki Museum & Library
Watercolour by George Clarendon Beale
This item must not be copied or reproduced in any print or electronic media without the prior permission of Puke Ariki Museum and Library. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Sound file from Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision. Any re-use of this audio is a breach of copyright. To request a copy of the recording, contact Ngā Taonga (He Rerenga Korero, Reference number 42647)