The Wellington children's hospital – officially called the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital – was opened in 1912. A special feature of the interior was a series of 18 tiled pictures based on popular nursery tales, made by Royal Doulton in England. The tiles were purchased using money left over after the building was completed. They were taken down when the building was demolished and were reinstated in the Wellington regional hospital building, which was opened in 2009. Eighteen-month-old Taylor Sione is sitting under the Little Red Riding Hood picture in 1982.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, Dominion Post Collection (PAColl-7327)
Photograph by Ian Mackley
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.