The General Motors factory at Petone near Wellington opened in 1926, and closed in 1984 when the company’s operations were consolidated at Trentham. At first the factory produced Chevrolet, Pontiac and Buick cars, then added Oldsmobile, Vauxhall and Bedford trucks. In the 1950s it began producing Holdens. All these vehicles were imported as ‘knocked-down’ components, and assembled in New Zealand.
Using this item
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.