Dumping night soil on the edges of town just shifted the problem. In Dunedin large ‘detritus tanks’ were constructed to hold sewage. This one, built in Frederick Street in 1904, was 7.6 metres across and 12 metres deep. Sewage also drained with stormwater in a combined system that had outlets into the harbour. It was clear that an ocean outfall was needed, and by 1908 sewage was being pumped into the Pacific at Lawyers Head. By 1912 a reasonably comprehensive sewerage system was in place.
Using this item
Dunedin City Council Archives
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.