Horonuku Te Heuheu, paramount chief of Ngāti Tūwharetoa, is photographed at Tokaanu in the later 19th century, holding a patu (club) and wearing a kahukiwi (kiwi-feather cloak) and huia feathers. In 1887 Horonuku came to an agreement with the government that the mountains of Tongariro, Ngāuruhoe and Ruapehu would form the basis of a national park. Though the park was developed into a tourist attraction, Tūwharetoa’s involvement was minimal.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.