Story: Te tāpoi Māori – Māori tourism

The Pink Terraces

The Pink Terraces

This half of the famous Pink and White Terraces was known as Ōtūkapuarangi to the Tūhourangi people. Access to the terraces was controlled by Tūhourangi, who made significant income until the attraction was lost in the Tarawera eruption of 1886.

Using this item

Auckland Art Gallery – Toi o Tāmaki
Reference: 1963/37
Oil on canvas by Charles Blomfield

Permission of Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Paul Diamond, 'Te tāpoi Māori – Māori tourism - 19th-century Māori tourism', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/23712/the-pink-terraces (accessed 17 September 2019)

Story by Paul Diamond, published 11 Mar 2010