After landing at Kāwhia, the crew of the Aotea canoe walked south and finally settled around the Pātea River. In 1933 descendants of the Aotea migrants erected this memorial at Pātea ‘in remembrance of Turi and Rongorongo [his wife], their family and fellow voyagers’.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.