This impressive beam bridge, which crosses the Hutt River just before it enters Wellington Harbour, was New Zealand’s first pre-stressed concrete bridge. It used pre-cast concrete beams, each 32 metres long and weighing 40 tonnes. The bridge opened in 1954.
Using this item
Photograph by Andy Palmer
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.