Most of the carvers who worked on Rāhiri marae, completed in 1914, came from Ngāti Porou from the East Coast. Above each window is a canoe, one marked ‘Matatua’ in recognition of the Mataatua canoe, and the other marked ‘Matawhaorua’. These two canoes are of major importance to the local people.
Using this item
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.