These City Markets in Auckland’s Viaduct Basin, shown in the 1950s, were wholesale markets, and Turners and Growers were the major occupier. Householders could bid at the auctions, but most of the buyers were retailers who sold the produce in their shops, and restaurateurs. The City Council built the market building in 1918.
Using this item
Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira
Reference: Sparrow 1908a
Photograph by Sparrow Industrial Pictures Ltd
Permission of the Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira must be obtained before any re-use of this image.