Building carriages and coaches was a major business, as suggested by the size of the premises of this manufacturer in Courtenay Place, Wellington, around 1902. Coachbuilders faced a major challenge with the advent of the motor car. Many firms began to assemble motor vehicles from imported parts. Rouse and Hurrell began importing Model T Fords in 1908, and sold all its coach-building equipment and stock in 1910. By 1911 it had changed its name to the Colonial Motor Company and its showrooms featured cars, not carriages.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.