Model T Fords were big business by 1922, when the Colonial Motor Company opened this nine-storey building in York Street in central Wellington. Car components shipped from the Ford factory in Canada were assembled with locally-manufactured fittings. Car bodies and chassis were lowered through successive floors of the building, with engines, wheels and trim added as they descended. The finished product was warehoused on the ground floor.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.