Chinese miners were first brought to Otago in 1866, when Pākehā miners left in large numbers for the new West Coast goldfields. By the end of the 1860s some 2,000 Chinese were in Otago. They worked over fields thoroughly and some kept mining for many years. These men were photographed at Upper Kyeburn, near Naseby.
Using this item
Hocken Library, University of Otago
Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.
Add new comment