A tram emerges from Wellington’s Hātaitai tunnel into Pirie Street in Mt Victoria on the city side. The narrow one-lane tunnel was built for trams. Prime Minister Richard Seddon turned the first sod in 1905, and the tunnel opened in 1907. It was converted for buses in 1963, and in the early 2000s both trolley and diesel buses used it on routes to Kilbirnie, Miramar and other south-coast communities such as Lyall Bay and Seatoun, as well as Wellington Airport.
Using this item
New Zealand Railway and Locomotive Society
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment