During and after the Second World War power restrictions were commonplace, and the government made the building of hydroelectric stations a high priority. Roxburgh power station was New Zealand’s largest at the time. Construction of the scheme was plagued with difficulties, including a shortage of labour. The site is shown here lit up for night work. Once the Roxburgh station was commissioned in 1956, power restrictions in the South Island were lifted.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.