The Waikato, New Zealand’s longest river, powers eight hydroelectric stations producing over 1,000 megawatts between them. With a high and stable water flow, the Waikato was considered an ideal site for hydroelectric generation. Horahora, built in 1910–13, and Arapuni (1924–29), were the first. (Horahora now lies beneath Lake Karapiro.) Other stations were planned in the 1930s, but construction was delayed by the Second World War. The Waikato power stations supplied nearly half of New Zealand’s power in the mid-1960s.
Photographs supplied by Mighty River Power
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.