Story: Engineering

Rangitīkei railway bridge, 1974

Rangitīkei railway bridge, 1974

The south Rangitīkei railway bridge, one of three that replaced a steep, winding section of the North Island main trunk line, was under construction in 1974. Work was stopped in 1975 following the collapse of the falsework (the temporary structure that held up the bridge while it was being built). Construction did not start again until 1979, and the bridge was opened in 1981.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Dominion Post Collection (PAColl-7327)
Reference: EP/1974/4481A/12

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Matthew Wright, 'Engineering - Engineering after 1945', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/21615/rangitikei-railway-bridge-1974 (accessed 26 May 2020)

Story by Matthew Wright, published 11 Mar 2010