A Newmans service car pauses in the grounds of Nelson Cathedral with several members of the Newman family inside, probably in the late 1930s. This Cadillac 353FF was built in 1935, and could seat 13 passengers. The bodywork was done by Crawley Ridley, motor body builders in Tory Street, Wellington. They built many coach bodies for Newmans from the 1930s to the mid-1950s. The firm ‘stretched’ and ‘rebodied’ service cars to fit an extra row of seats.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.