Story: Coaches and long-distance buses

Service cars, Murchison

Service cars, Murchison

Newman Brothers’ service cars line up in Murchison during the 1927 tour of the Duke and Duchess of York. At front left is Newmans’ first large service car, a Cadillac 314 with a V8 motor, known as ‘the Glasshouse’. The young man standing in the centre is Jack (later Sir Jack) Newman. His father, Tom, and his uncle Harry started a horse coach service in 1879, and bought their first service car in 1911. The move to cars was sped by the sale of 50 of Newmans’ horses – to the army for the Sinai–Palestine campaign of the First World War.

Using this item

Nelson Provincial Museum, F. N. Jones Collection
Reference: 6x8 16

Permission must be sought from Nelson Provincial Museum before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Jane Tolerton, 'Coaches and long-distance buses - Service cars', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/20925/service-cars-murchison (accessed 17 May 2022)

Story by Jane Tolerton, published 11 Mar 2010