Until Anderson Park was completed in 1910, Thorndon and the surrounding suburbs did not have a park nearby for sports and other forms of active recreation. This is the park not long after it was finished. The flat playing fields contrast with the surrounding hills; the park had required major earth-moving works.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.