Myers Park in Auckland contains little evidence that it was once covered with buildings. In 1913 businessman and politician Sir Arthur Myer gifted 6 acres (2.4 hectares) of slum land off Queen Street to the city for a park. The buildings were demolished and the site was landscaped and planted. Myer also built a kindergarten next to the park. In this image the playground looks beyond full capacity – this and the tent off to the side suggests a special event may be taking place.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.