In 1864–65 the stone chamber was added to Benjamin Mountfort’s Provincial Council Buildings. The interior of the chamber was widely regarded as one of the finest examples of English Victorian Gothic architecture in New Zealand. The ridge and furrow arched ceiling was painted in glowing gold, red and dark blue chevrons by J. C. St Quentin, following Mountfort’s designs in 1867. The chamber collapsed in the February 2011 earthquake.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Melanie Lovell-Smith
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence