The English made a substantial contribution to New Zealand architecture. The leading architect of colonial Christchurch was Benjamin Mountfort, who arrived in 1850 on one of the first four ships of the Canterbury Association. Arguably his finest building was the Canterbury Provincial Council Buildings, opened in 1859, and characteristic of his Gothic revival style. The buildings collapsed in the earthquake of 22 February 2011.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.