Invercargill’s combined town hall and civic theatre, designed by E. R. Wilson on classical lines, opened in 1906 with a performance including Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus. The building was called simply the Civic Theatre from 1930; over time the municipal offices had become function rooms. The building survived demolition threats in the 1970s. It was fully renovated in 2005.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.